Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mario of Zona Norte

Hey Friends! I just wanted to share a quick story about something that really touched my heart the other week while doing ministry in the Red Light District of Tijuana.


The picture above is a man name Mario that lives on the streets of Zona Norte. He comes to the park every Wednesday when our group gives out soup.
This one week we had a guy from our ministry share a message and play worship before we served the soup to the homeless. Mario and I were just chatting before this started and I found that not only did he have a physical disability that caused him to need a walker but he also has a speech impediment that makes it hard for him to speak. Only about 3 words of a sentence are clear.
When worship started we stopped talking to listen. As I was standing next to him I noticed that he knew the worship songs and was doing his best to sing along. It amazed me as I watched this man who could barely put two words together, and not really even sing, give his best to worship God.
So I think, do I, who lives in a beautiful place, eats food everyday, and am in very good health give my best to worship God like this man who has nothing compared to me. Too often I don't.
Later on Mario and I prayed together and the only thing he asked me to pray for was that God would forgive him. I wonder if that is what I would ask from God if I didn't even have a home to call my own and was begging for food on a daily basis.

Mario challenged me in how much I really give in worship God and what I truly should be seeking when I've already been given all I need to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment